What is Youth Mentoring?
Children’s Aid Society has operated a mentoring program since 1986. The program’s vision is that all children achieve success in life. We provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported 1-to-1 relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. As a result, youth mentoring an integral part of front-line prevention services.
Does Youth Mentoring work?
Youth who meet regularly with a mentor are less involved with drugs and alcohol, do better in school, and have better relationships with parents and peers than youth who are not in a mentoring program.
Researchers found that youth matched in the program are:
- 46% less likely to start using drugs and 27% less likely to start drinking
- 33% less likely to hit someone
- 52% less likely to skip a day of school and 37% less likely to skip a class
- more trusting of their parents and guardians, less likely to lie to them and feel more supported and less criticized by their peers and friends.
Benefits of Mentoring
We partner with parent/guardians, volunteers and others in the community. Most of all, we hold ourselves accountable for each child in our program achieving:
- Higher aspirations, greater confidence, and better relationships
- Avoidance of risky behavior
- Educational successHow will you help make a difference for a child right now?
We change the lives of children facing adversity for the better, forever – and you can, too! There are many ways to mentor a child. Pick the way that’s best for you – no action is too small to make an impact.